Valencia DS

The goal of Valencia Deployment Site (DS) was to create a balance between the needs of the informal caregivers and the level of autonomy of older people by providing information about older daily activity both inside and outside home to reduce their burden as caregivers.

Reference Use Cases:

RUC 1 – Daily Activity monitoring

Resilience actions during COVID-19
The final evaluation was affected by the COVID-19 and results were affected by methods implemented because the data were collected by phone, and the answers were influenced by the fear and uncertainty context. The protocol to attend incidences were adapted to the new normality to attend the possible problems and alerts from the users. During lockdown, participants benefited from the devices to be more connected among them through videocalls, to receive news about municipal resources and also were used by older people to keep healthy habits.
As example of how COVID-19 impact on DS Valencia the average value of self-perception of quality of life has decreased over this period by 4.83%.

Socio-demographic distribution

Service benefits

Valencia DS impact assessment was based on the quasi-experimental method, which used the before and after technique to compare the effects that the implemented test has generated on its beneficiaries.

As for the older adults, the data from the surveys carried out showed that the average sense of security after the project is 7.74 (on a scale of 0 to 10), which is a decrease of 2.17% compared to the same perception in users before the project.

Social life has decreased by 7.4%, but data is fairly balanced, as 52% have stated that they have reduced their social life, while the remaining 48% remain at previous levels.

As for impact on informal caregivers, 11.11% of the caregivers have allocated less time to care tasks at the homes of their older relatives.

.

92% of caregivers rated usefulness of information as 8-10 over 10. Satisfaction with the solution was very high (8,77 over 10). And there was a high impact on quality of life perceived thanks to the solution (7.55/109).

.

Service acceptance

Service acceptance was measured using a validated questionnaire UTAUT. The analysis focused on the treatment effects of the different RUCs.

In general terms, participants valued as neutral the use of IoT with results over 5 (scale 0 to 7) in all the categories.

As the solution is totally transparent for the end users, since older adults do not have to interact with it, and with very low interaction for carers, the results can be considered very good for the service. The solution eludes digital divide of older users.

.

Cost effectiveness

There is a certain percentage of caregivers who responded to a lower cost range than that expressed before starting to take part in the pilot test of the operation of the LOCS system.

In this case, the percentage of caregivers who have reduced their expenses for care is 4.91%. We would be in a position to state that this saving is a direct cause of the use of the solution since we did not find other variables, unrelated to the project, that could have influenced this fact.

The initial investment that the public administration should make to a figure that would represent 7% of the annual budget for social services in the Valencia region in the year 2020. This estimation considers installation in around 6000 homes that currently have the telecare service. Therefore, the validated solutions are not a substitute for current care services, such as teleassistance, but a complement to them, that at long term could enable the independent living of users for longer at their homes, contributing to a better management of the public residential places and thus contributing to public expenditure savings.

Service sustainability

The relatives with the most willingness to pay are those who have older people with fragility levels 3 and 4. This could be the market niche, since the families consider that with a small help their older relatives can be independent for longer. The price variable is one of the main factors when it comes to indecision in possible payment.

Only 17.4% of the participants in the pilot would not be willing to pay for the service and the less willing to pay are those with relatives with frailty level over 5.

In addition, the monitoring of the older adults for the detection of risk situations and early detection of problems together with a service adapted to the individual needs of the older adults, promote their independence and quality of life, increasing social welfare.